Sunday, November 13, 2011

Italian sausage and tortellini soup

Around these parts, the weather has been fabulous. Still, I keep planning my menus based on the fact that any day now, the weather could turn nasty and stay that way until May. And although I'm not looking forward to snow, I am looking forward to lots of soup and casserole days. Sorry, for the formatting of the recipe. I can't figure out how to get it spaced right and I'm sick of messing with it.  Fixed it!


1 lb hot or mild Italian sausages, casings removed
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cups beef or chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 can (19oz) tomatoes in juice, chopped (reserve juices)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 pkg (10oz) fresh or frozen cheese-filled tortellini
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage 8-10 minutes, or until browned, stirring to break up meat. With a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker. Add onion, carrots, broth, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on High 3-4 hours or on low 6-10 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain.

Add zucchini, parsley and tortellini to slow cooker and cook on High 15-20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. Spoon into individual bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

mmm I'm definitely going to try that! We love tortellini!

Kelly said...

oh my does that look good!!!! I'm so trying this! thanks for the yummy post.

Laurie said...

nice fix hehe!