Sunday, July 29, 2007

Spanish Rice

Hey, if you are looking for a good side to your mexican dish try making some homemade spanish rice. We made enchiladas for supper tonight. We wanted some spanish rice for our side, so I decided to look up some recipes. I made one, and it turned out really good. It was really easy. It worked perfect for me too because we had everything in our kitchen except the parsley. I modified the recipe a bit because it had some weird directions, but here it is:

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups rice (I used instant wheat rice)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup plain tomato sauce (I used canned diced tomatoes with green chilies)
3 cloves finely chopped garlic (I used pre-minced garlic that you can get in the jar)
1/4 of a medium onion
2 tablespoons oil
4 heaping tablespoons of finely chopped parsley (optional)
I also added a bit of black pepper

PREPARATION:
In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the fresh garlic and onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add in dry rice. Stir for about 5 minutes until rice becomes a golden brown color.

When rice is golden, pour into a pot and add in broth and tomato sauce (Slowly into rice, not directly onto hot pot!) Add in the parsley if you're using it. Stir it up and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Let it simmer for 20 minutes and fluff with a fork.

*If you don't have fresh garlic or onions on hand you can use the equivalent in powder form. Do not saute the powder(I thought the sauteing the "powder" part was funny so I left it in there), just skip that step and add the garlic powder and/or onion powder when you add the liquids. If you don't have tomato sauce you can use unseasoned stewed tomatoes, or canned diced tomatoes with their liquid.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

That sounds good. I was going to make Mexican this week too. It's also funny because I was going to post a couple of recipes too.

Laurie said...

hehe must be a sister thing :P