Saturday, April 14, 2007

Life

Oh my gosh! Look what I started! haha. So I don't have a digital camera right now because I had to send it in for repairs. I caught it ten days before my warranty was up!! In the meantime, I have been taking pictures with my phone.
School has been going well. I have two more weeks left of this semester, so I am getting excited. I will have a week off before summer school starts. I have been writing a lot of papers, and doing a lot of reading. I just finished a paper discussing female representation in american animation versus japanese animation. It was quite interesting. My next big paper is for Anthropology. I get to pick my own topic so I think I am doing, The Effects of Consumerism on Pollution. I have taken a keen liking to Anthropology so I am perusing a minor in the field. I am going to be busy busy, but I think it is possible as long as I keep focused.
Work has also been going well. I work about two times a week at WGVU and then I also work in the Zoo's local gift shop. When the semester is done I am hoping to get about 30 hours a week there. Need to make some money.
I am excited to move into our new apartment. We will have a dishwasher, garbage disposal, washer, dryer, cable, and internet included in our rent. I am so excited about the appliances! I don't spend enough cash to get quarters for laundry, so this soon will not be a problem. Our little townhouse is cute, and close to campus. I will be homeless for a week or two, but we have friends we can stay with.
I went and saw the documentary, Jesus Camp the other day. If you haven't heard of this, it is about a children's summer camp for evangelists in Devils Lake, ND. The head of the organization also preaches in Bismarck/Mandan. If viewed with a liberal mind, this documentary is quite humorous! I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance to see it. I viewed it for free because it was playing in a building on campus.
This summer I plan on going to Madison (excited!!!), spending time with ma & pa, going to the beach, going to some film festivals, visiting with Ashley when see comes up here, and of course doing lots of work and homework.
This is sort of a bad picture of downtown Grand Rapids, but it is also a good one. There are some parts in Grand Rapids that are really nice, but there is also a lot of construction and renovation going on. You can see the construction going on here.

This is the building I work in. It is called the Eberhard Building and it a part of the downtown campus. I will also be having a class here this summer. It is located right along the Grand River.


Another beach photo. Strolling along the boardwalk..

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I want to see Jesus Camp. The main lady in it lives in Bismarck and she convinced the local theatres not to release it here. I guess she was afraid of what people would say to her. What's her problem? She must not believe in what she is doing too much if she feels she can't stand up for herself.

Laurie said...

I don't know... that lady is off her rocker. You should see Jesus Camp. It's crazy, and really really funny. I loved the part where she asks God to bless her powerpoint presentation. lol!