Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spring Break info

I found out the other day that I will be spending my spring break at a wildlife refuge in the panhandle of Florida! I am pretty excited! I don't know too much right now. We won't know what exactly we will be doing until we get down there, but I am sure it will be a lot of manual labor. lol. We will be taking two mini vans down there driving the straight 20 hours. I believe we will be staying in a cabin with two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living area, and two bathrooms.
I am quite excited. I met most of the people in our group and they are all really nice. There are 12 of us going. I am so happy that I will get to go somewhere warm! :) Lesley is going to Virginia to help with rural culture. I think that should be different for her. lol. Below are some links to learn more about what I will be doing. The first link is to the alternative breaks home page and the second link is to the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge, which is where I will be.

http://www.gvsualternativebreaks.com/Default.aspx?PageId=9
http://www.fws.gov/saintmarks/

Here is the wildlife refuge description from the site:

"This trip works with a wildlife refuge performing various tasks that are needed to improve the area. Trips in the past have build platforms for birds to nest on, removed trash from the refuge, cleared a trail through palm plants, and pulled up fencing near trees. The forest rangers that the students work with are really friendly and enjoy educating the students about the different environmental issues. It’s been said that students are able to take a swamp tour to learn more about the culture, and that they will see tons of alligators throughout the week!"

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Awesome! That should be fun even if it's a lot of hard work.